The Awards Committee consists of five members, one of whom is the chair. Members are appointed annually by the President.
The committee recommends to the Board of Directors at their fall meeting at least two candidates for the following awards to be presented at AOHC:
- Health Achievement in Occupational Medicine. Presented to an ACOEM member for a specific, unique achievement in the field of occupational and environmental medicine.
- Meritorious Service. Presented to a member who has provided meritorious service to ACOEM.
- William S. Knudsen. Presented to an individual who has had a distinguished career in one or more disciplines of occupational medicine, environmental medicine, and/or environmental health.
- Kehoe Award of Merit. Presented to an individual for significant contributions made to academic excellence or research in the disciplines of occupational medicine or environmental health.
- Merit in Authorship. Presented to the author(s) who in the committee's opinion has written the best article published/book reviewed in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. Nominations are submitted via the Awards Committee for board consideration by the JOEM Editorial Board.
The Awards Committee takes no action on these nominations. By announcements in ACOEM E-News and other ACOEM communications, the committee will annually invite ACOEM members to submit names for consideration by the committee. Officers/directors are not eligible for awards during their terms of office. Awards are presented at AOHC [Bylaws, Article XII, Section 3 (i)]. Annual ACOEM awards may include posthumous awards for individuals within two years of their death; but in extraordinary circumstances this time limit may be waived. (Board action of 10/26/97.) The committee reviews nominations, confirms their eligibility, and considers those candidates for each award. Ten days prior to the fall board meeting, the chair reports the committee’s recommendations to the vice president. The committee nomination shall include a one-paragraph statement describing the specific contribution of each nominee. The Board votes by secret ballot on the candidates at the fall meeting. The ballot will list alphabetically by last name the nominees for each award and include the statement of contribution. Nominations are not permitted from the floor due to the need to investigate eligibility of the candidates. If candidates suitable to the Board are not found, the award(s) will not be made. The president promptly notifies the recipients after Board approval.
Awards Committee Members:
- Beth A Baker, MD, MPH, FACOEM (Vice President)
- Marianne Dreger, MA (ACOEM Staff Liaison)
- Kurt T. Hegmann, MD, MPH, FACOEM
- Pamela A. Hymel, MD, MPH, FACOEM
- James A. Tacci, MD, MPH, JD, FACOEM
- Charles M. Yarborough, III, MD, MPH, CIME, FACPM, FACOEM (Chair)