The Policies, Procedures and Public Positions (4Ps) Committee is responsible for advising the Board of Directors on proposed changes or additions to internal policies and procedures and on public positions taken by the College that require Board-level consideration or approval. Members of this Committee must be Board members. The chair of the Committee shall be the Vice President. In the above capacities, the Committee concerns itself with the following issues as relates to clarity, conciseness, credibility, and consistency. The Committee is also responsible for assessing consistency between any Board-approved changes in policy or procedure and the ACOEM Bylaws and for initiating corrective steps, as appropriate.
Policies and Procedures of the College
For policies and procedures related to governance and operations of the College, the Committee may directly create new proposed policies or procedures, or suggest revisions to existing policies or procedures. The Committee shall also review and suggest changes to proposals for new policies or revisions of existing policies done by other groups within the college, as those proposed changes require Board level consideration. After creating or reviewing proposals relating to policies and procedures, the committee can take either of the following actions:
- Send the proposed new or revised policies or procedures on to the full Board, along with any proposed modifications suggested by the Committee, and with the Committee’s recommendation to approve or reject the proposals.
- Return the proposed new or revised policies or procedures to the originating entity within the College, along with the Committee’s suggestions for revisions and the direction that these be resubmitted to the Committee for review. These actions shall be reported by the Committee to the full Board.
Review of Public Positions on Scientific and Practice Issues
- The Committee shall review proposed new public positions related to scientific and practice issues, which are created by other entities within the College and which require specific Board approval. The Committee can then send the proposed public position to the Board with a recommendation to accept or reject the proposal as written, or return the proposal to the referring entity (committee, council, etc.) with specific recommendations for changes or clarifications, and a direction to resubmit revised proposals to the Committee. The appropriate council, section or committee chair can approve minor changes to proposals suggested by the Committee, but substantial changes should be returned to the referring entity.
- The Committee may also review existing public positions to identify those that may need revision or deletion, and to identify areas where new public positions are needed. The committee may then recommend to the Board that other groups within the College develop new or revise existing public positions, which would then be submitted to the committee for review.
4Ps Committee Members:
- Muktar H. Aliyu, MD, MPH, DrPH, FACPM, FACOEM
- Beth A. Baker, MD, MPH, FACOEM (Chair)
- Melissa A. Bean, DO, MPH, MBA, FACOEM
- John W. Burress, MD, MPH, FACOEM
- Marianne Dreger, MA (ACOEM Staff Liaison)
- Scott C. Levy, MD, MPH, FACOEM (Speaker Elect of the House)
- David W. McKinney, MD, MPH, FACOEM
- Kenji Saito, MD, JD
- Tanisha K. Taylor, MD, MPH, FACP, CIME, FACOEM